Re: absolute positioning

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Indra Heckenbach <indra(at)macnica(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: absolute positioning
Date: 2004-03-24 18:07:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Indra Heckenbach wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to this discussion. From what I can tell, work
> must have been done on the postgres backend to improve support for
> cursors. I have been using cursors with fairly complex queries (joins
> and nested subqueries and order bys) without any problems.
>
> I went ahead and patched the JDBC jar from the CVS head on gborg. This
> patch should enable scrollable cursor support, and provide absolute() w/o
> involves changing some core aspects of the driver. I have not reviewed
> the existing code thoroughly, so I could have introduced problems. I
> have also not tested extensively. However, the patch works for me, and I
> could use the patched driver with existing applications. Is there a test
> suite for the driver? At this point I hope to get some feedback.

I'll admit I haven't actually looked at the patch, but first, patches
should be submitted in context diff format (diff -c) and there is a test
suite that can be run with "ant test", this requires setting up a test
database with a test user and making plpgsql available to it. Right now
there are two failures from your patch. Also this is only testing the
existing functionality, most of the tests are testing the FORWARD_ONLY
ResultSet mode, so I would hope to see some additions or modifications to
the test suite in your next patch.

Kris Jurka