Re: division by zero issue

From: Chester Kustarz <chester(at)arbor(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Donald <destiney(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: division by zero issue
Date: 2004-09-15 19:34:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, David Fetter wrote:
> I know it's a little weird to have WHERE for non-aggregate and HAVING
> for aggregates, but that's the SQL standard...

the WHERE clause strips rows before grouping. the HAVING clause operates
after grouping. so it's not so much aggregate vs. non-aggregate as it is
about order of operations.

http://philip.greenspun.com/sql/complex-queries.html

"The WHERE clause restricts which rows are returned. The HAVING clause operates analogously but on groups of rows."