psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

From: "Anony Mous" <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta
Date: 2004-09-15 19:52:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I've run into a problem. I've had postgres V8 beta on my WinXP Pro machine
for some time now, and it's been running great. Now, for some reason, I
cannot issue any queries to the database via psql. See snippit below...

------------
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1\bin>createdb -U postgres test
CREATE DATABASE

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1\bin>psql -d test -U postgres
Welcome to psql 8.0.0beta1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

Warning: Console codepage (850) differs from windows codepage (1252)
8-bit characters will not work correctly. See PostgreSQL
documentation "Installation on Windows" for details.

test=# select now();
'more' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
test=#

The message regarding the 'more' command is the same no matter what query is
issued. I also get it anytime I try to restore a database from a dump
(wherever a setval command is issued).

I've tried reinstalling the db to no avail. This problem does not repeat
itself on other machines! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Peter