Re: [INTERFACES] Re: your mail

From: Louis Bertrand <louis(at)bertrandtech(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Diana Eichert <deichert(at)wrench(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: your mail
Date: 1999-08-03 00:36:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Louis Bertrand wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm the guy trying to build the 6.5.1 port for OpenBSD. I agree there is a
> > limited target audience for this port, but that audience won't get any
> > bigger if nobody does anything about it. Like Diana, I chose my OS first
> > and my database engine second. However, my choice of OS shouldn't dictate
> > that I must settle for second-best applications, hence the effort to port
> > pgsql and its various components.
> >
> > I think I played by The Rules[TM] of freenix software with my posts to the
> > ports mailing list: well researched to the limits of my abilities, showing
> > what and where I thought the problem was, and asking specific questions.
> > Marc and Tom's replies make me sound like all I did was whine that "it
>
> Marc who?? unless I black'd out the episode, this is the first I've read
> about it...*raised eyebrow* And if I gave the impression that I thought
> you were whining, I do apologize, as it was not my intention to do so...
ooops, too wide a tar brush. Sorry.

> Just curious, but what turned out to be the problem, and is it something
> we can/should change in the source tree to prevent it in the future?

1) EGCS in OpenBSD no longer defines symbol i386, using the
namespace-friendly __i386__ instead. I suspect there will be a similar
problem with SPARC and maybe others. I had to add:
bsd.h:
#ifdef(__i386__)
#define i386
#endif

2) When building libpgsqlodbc.so, /usr/lib/libcompat.a on OpenBSD had a
problem with doubly defining symbol _v8_regerror(). I'm not even sure why
pgsql's build uses libcompat.a because it's not needed to resolve
anything. I patched src/configure.in to remove the
AC_CHECK_LIB(compat,main) macro. OpenBSD-current has been changed to
remove the doubly-defined symbol, but the port should still be able to
work with earlier released CD-ROM versions.

3) src/bin/pg_passwd/pg_passwd.c is patched to change the password length
from the hard-coded 14 with _PASSWORD_LEN of 128. It was like that in the
previous (6.3.2) port and FreeBSD has it also, so I just updated it.

Ciao
--Louis <louis(at)bertrandtech(dot)on(dot)ca>

Louis Bertrand http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada

OpenBSD: Secure by default. http://www.openbsd.org/