Re: XML and Postgres

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: Greg Lindstrom <greg(dot)lindstrom(at)novasyshealth(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML and Postgres
Date: 2005-03-17 17:36:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

Greg.....

> 1. Do I understand correctly that using one of these tools I can hand my
> xml-formatted data file to postgres and it will be inserted into the
> database?

Hopefully for you somebody else might know of something like that!

Sorry to tell you, but I'm handling it manually. The perl program just
serves as the bridge between the two databases. I had to manually
normalize the database that I was going to pump the data into, then I had
to write a bridging program to parse the data out of the XML file, loading
each piece of data into a variable, then inserting or updating the proper
table in the database with it.

It's not the automatic solution you sound like you are hoping for.
That's what I meant by writing 'hopefully somebody else can give you a
direct solution'.

Good luck finding what you need, maybe somebody else knows how to make
postgreSQL handle XML data directly or knows of a database that will (and
still be fast, etc.).

brew

Strange Brew (brew(at)theMode(dot)com)
Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website http://www.callpix.com