Re: XML and Postgres

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML and Postgres
Date: 2005-03-17 16:15:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sean....

> > I had to write a parsing routine that churns through the XML file and
> > loads the data for one record, then dumps it into the database before
> > going back for the next record - it's much more memory efficient, albeit
> > slow - no grouped transactions, but that's all right - it runs in the
> > middle of the night.
>
> In these cases, you can use XML::Twig to break up the file into smaller
> parts--it is quite easy and VERY fast.

Thanks, it was a couple of years ago that I wrote my parsing code, so I'm
not going to change it at this time, but I'll keep that in mind for
the future.

I experimented with Twig (but don't remember the exact results - it was a
year and a half ago), but somehow I missed that you could break the data
up in smaller chunks. That's really ironic because now I see that the
name Twig is because it's a branch off the tree!!!

Darn.

Thanks.... brew

Strange Brew (brew(at)theMode(dot)com)
Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website http://www.callpix.com