Re: Brand New User (I hope)

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: phil <boltin8(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Brand New User (I hope)
Date: 2004-10-01 17:20:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Phil......

> I've never asked a user group for help before so I'm not sure how to go
> about this.......

You're doing fine.

> I've just purchased SuSE 9.1 Professional which uses the YaST package
> manager to install software and was wondering if anyone has successfully
> installed Postgresql 7.4.2-31 on a Pentium based machine. I installed
> all of the postgresql packages and simply ended up with a "server not
> found" message

First step is to see if the server is running. I don't know about SuSE,
there is probably something in YaST to check what processes are running.
The common command line way to check in linux is

ps aux

which gives you a list of all running processes. There should be a couple
there owned by postgres, probably, named postmaster or postgres. If not
you have to figure out how to start them on startup.

A YaST user can probably help you better, but this should get you pointed
in the right direction.

brew

Strange Brew (brew(at)theMode(dot)com)
Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
http://www.TheMode.com