Re: General Database Design Text

From: Francisco Reyes <fran(at)reyes(dot)somos(dot)net>
To: John Burski <John(dot)Burski(at)911ep(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: General Database Design Text
Date: 2001-02-06 15:06:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, John Burski wrote:

> I'm looking for a good college-level text that covers general database
> design and implementation.

Don't know of a good book, but in the mean time.
Search the web for "normal form".
Understanding normalization is probably one of the basic things which
would help you in your designs. I am not saying you should normalize every
time you design, but if you have an understanding of what that is all
about you will be able to do better designs.

You may also want to subscribe/read some database newsgroups. I believe
there is one called comp.database.theory. That may be a good place to ask
for books too.