Re: [BUGS] triggers

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Martin Kuria <martinkuria(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] triggers
Date: 2001-08-14 16:18:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Martin Kuria wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem I am using postgresql database and I want to enforce
> >triggers between my related tables ( tables with relationship), one
> table
> >has a foreign key and the other the a primary key, I would like to use
> >triggers to update, delete, and insert in this tables but the table with
> the
> >foreign key should first check in the other table before any action is
> >taken, Which is the simplest sql or C language script can I use to
> enforce
> >triggers within my tables, please demonstrate a simple scenerio thanks

pgsql-bugs is definately not the place for this message (response to
-general).

Since I can't tell what you're precisely trying to do from the
explanation above, the easiest starting point is to look at the
documentation for triggers and then at techdocs.postgresql.org for
a couple trigger examples.

However, I don't believe you can guarantee that the foreign key trigger is
going to happen before your trigger.