RE: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Updating system catalogs after a tuple deletion
Date: 2001-05-15 02:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Lastly, inheritance? I plan to leave out worrying about inheritance for
> starters, especially since it seems that half the constraints when added
> don't even propagate themselves properly to child tables...

Actually this brings up a problem I'm having with ALTER TABLE ADD
CONSTRAINT and since it mostly affects you with DROP CONSTRAINT, I'll
bring it up here. If you have a table that has check constraints or
is inherited from multiple tables, what's the correct way to name an
added constraint that's being inherited? If it's $2 in the parent,
but the child already has a $2 defined, what should be done? The
reason this affects drop constraint is knowing what to drop in the
child. If you drop $2 on the parent, what constraint(s) on the child
get dropped?