Re: The Data Base System is in recovery mode

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The Data Base System is in recovery mode
Date: 2000-10-23 21:43:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se> writes:
> > > GNU gdb 4.18
> > > Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
> > > (gdb) bt
> > > #0 0x8136eb2 in GetTemplateEncoding ()
> > > #1 0x8136d66 in pg_mb2wchar_with_len ()
> > > #2 0x810adab in int8_text ()
> > > #3 0x810ae82 in textlike ()
> > > #4 0x812ef14 in fmgr_c ()
> >
> > I do not believe this backtrace. textlike does not call int8_text;
>
> Only Tom Lane could question a backtrace and get away with it. :-)

Okay, *how* do you come to that conclusion? Although Tom most likely has
that section of code programmed into his brain from all the work he's done
on the fmgr, all he did was trace the code by hand ... I'd give him
demi-god status for knowing the code such that he most likely knew it was
wrong as soon as he saw it (again, he's just spent alot of time in that
section of code), but beyond that, its a simple manual trace of the code