Re: C++ interfaces

From: Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Clark, Joel" <jclark(at)lendingtree(dot)com>, Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>, Postgres Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C++ interfaces
Date: 2000-10-10 22:23:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks for the info! I've managed to look at all of the packets the
back-end and front end send to each other and have a fairly good idea of
what is expected. Now for the hard part ...

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm currently looking at the packet structures that the back-end and
> > clients must use. I've found that many packets are terminated with
> > 0x5A. The docs don't mention this so I was wondering if anyone could
> > suggest why.
>
> I suspect you are confusing the logically-separate ReadyForQuery
> message (which is a single byte 'Z') with the preceding data message.
> See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/protocol.htm, particularly
> the description of the basic Query cycle:
>
> : A Query cycle is initiated by the frontend sending a Query message to
> : the backend. The backend then sends one or more response messages
> : depending on the contents of the query command string, and finally a
> : ReadyForQuery response message. ReadyForQuery informs the frontend that
> : it may safely send a new query or function call.
>
> regards, tom lane

Randy Jonasz
Software Engineer
Click2net Inc.
Web: http://www.click2net.com
Phone: (905) 271-3550

"You cannot possibly pay a philosopher what he's worth,
but try your best" -- Aristotle