Re: C++ interfaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com>
Cc: "Clark, Joel" <jclark(at)lendingtree(dot)com>, Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>, Postgres Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C++ interfaces
Date: 2000-10-07 04:40:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com> writes:
> I'm currently looking at the packet structures that the back-end and
> clients must use. I've found that many packets are terminated with
> 0x5A. The docs don't mention this so I was wondering if anyone could
> suggest why.

I suspect you are confusing the logically-separate ReadyForQuery
message (which is a single byte 'Z') with the preceding data message.
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/protocol.htm, particularly
the description of the basic Query cycle:

: A Query cycle is initiated by the frontend sending a Query message to
: the backend. The backend then sends one or more response messages
: depending on the contents of the query command string, and finally a
: ReadyForQuery response message. ReadyForQuery informs the frontend that
: it may safely send a new query or function call.