Re: [HACKERS] New IP address datatype

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Volpe <mvolpe(at)eos(dot)ncsu(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New IP address datatype
Date: 1999-05-31 20:04:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > I recommend you see the huge discussion on the hackers list
> > about these types in the October/November 1998 timeframe.
>
> Yup ... and note that the existing types were designed partly on the
> advice of Paul Vixie, who knows a thing or three about IP addressing.

Have to agree here...what we have now was prompted, and, in large part,
designed by Paul Vixie, and *that* was after some major discussions on the
lists concerning how to implement.

I think there would have to be some very strong arguments for changing it
now, as well as opening discussions with Paul on this...in alot of ways,
its his arena...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org