Re: Regression on 7.1.2 fails 17/76 - is it up to date?

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression on 7.1.2 fails 17/76 - is it up to date?
Date: 2001-07-03 01:53:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Allan Engelhardt wrote:

> This *is* supposed to be the forum for naive questions, so here goes: Are the regression tests still valid?
>
> I'm asking, because my installation reports: "17 of 76 tests failed, 1 of these failures ignored." This seems an awful lot for a recent download..... It is a known problem, or do I need to investigate further?

I've run regression tests before (not this time) and seen
failures. Usually, this comes from slight differences in
how the various machines which can run PostGreSQL do floating
point arithmetic. If the baselines for the tests is done on
a Alpha based machine, and you do tests on an Intel based
machine, there will be slight differences from that. Whether
that causes all of the errors, I don't know. But you should
be able to look through the testing and see if the answers
are usually close. There are also some "obvious" things
which cause differences, but off the top of my head I can't
remember what these were. This is going back a version or
two when I last compiled PostGreSQL for Solaris 2.5.1 on
a Sparc. Just my $0.02.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)