RE: UUID v7

From: "Kyzer Davis (kydavis)" <kydavis(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "brad(at)peabody(dot)io" <brad(at)peabody(dot)io>, "wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com" <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: UUID v7
Date: 2023-02-14 14:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Group,

I am happy to see others interested in the improvements provided by UUIDv7!

I caught up on the thread and you all are correct.

Work has moved on GitHub from uuid6/uuid6-ietf-draft to
ietf-wg-uuidrev/rfc4122bis
- Draft 00 merged RFC4122 with Draft 04 and fixed as many problems as possible
with RFC4122.
- Draft 01 continued to iterate on RFC4122 problems:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis-01
- Draft 02 items being changed are summarized in the latest PR for review in
the upcoming interim meeting (Feb 16th):
https://github.com/ietf-wg-uuidrev/rfc4122bis/pull/60
Note: Draft 02 should be published by the end of the week and long term we
have one more meeting at IETF 116 to iron out the replacement of RFC4122,
perform last call and submit to the IESG for official review and consideration
for replacement of RFC4122 (actual timeline for that varies based on what IESG
wants me to fix.)

That all being said:
The point is 99% of the work since adoption by the IETF has been ironing out
RFC4122's problems and nothing major related to UUIDv6/7/8 which are all in a
very good state.

If anybody has any feedback found during draft reviewing or prototyping;
please either email uuidrev(at)ietf(dot)org or drop an issue on the tracker:
https://github.com/ietf-wg-uuidrev/rfc4122bis/issues

Lastly, I have added the C/SQL implementation to the prototypes page below:
https://github.com/uuid6/prototypes

Thanks!