RE: problem with RETURNING and update row movement

From: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Amit Langote' <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: problem with RETURNING and update row movement
Date: 2020-07-14 11:26:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit san

Hello. I've tested your patch.

This patch can be applied comfortably and make check-world has produced no failure.

I didn't do performance test
because this patch doesn't have an effect on it in my opinion.

I reproduced the bug you described before,
which can be prevented by your patch currently.

After applying your patch, I've gotten a correct output without error
using the test case in the 1st mail of this thread.

Just small comment about your patch.
I felt the test you added in update.sql could be simpler or shorter in other form.
Excuse me if I say something silly.
It's because I supposed you can check the bug is prevented without definitions of both a function and its trigger for this case. Neither of them is essentially connected with the row movement between source partition and destination partition and can be replaced by simpler expression ?

Best,
Takamichi Osumi