Re: problem with RETURNING and update row movement

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem with RETURNING and update row movement
Date: 2020-07-16 09:38:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Takamichi-san,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:26 PM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Amit san
>

> Hello. I've tested your patch.

Thanks for that.

> Just small comment about your patch.
> I felt the test you added in update.sql could be simpler or shorter in other form.
> Excuse me if I say something silly.
> It's because I supposed you can check the bug is prevented without definitions of both a function and its trigger for this case. Neither of them is essentially connected with the row movement between source partition and destination partition and can be replaced by simpler expression ?

Well, it's true that the function and the trigger have nothing to do
with the main bug, but it's often good to be sure that the bug-fix
isn't breaking cases where they are present and have visible effect.

--
Amit Langote