RE: Complete data erasure

From: "asaba(dot)takanori(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <asaba(dot)takanori(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Stephen Frost' <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Masahiko Sawada' <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Complete data erasure
Date: 2020-02-20 08:27:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

From: asaba(dot)takanori(at)fujitsu(dot)com <asaba(dot)takanori(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> Hello Stephen,
>
> From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
> > I disagree- it's a feature that's been asked for multiple times and does
> > have value in some situations.
>
> I'm rethinking the need for this feature although I think that it improves the
> security.
> You said that this feature has value in some situations.
> Could you tell me about that situations?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Takanori Asaba

I think that the use scene is to ensure that no data remains.
This feature will give users peace of mind.

There is a risk of leakage as long as data remains.
I think that there are some things that users are worried about.
For example, there is a possibility that even if it takes years, attackers decrypt encrypted data.
Or some users may be concerned about disk management in cloud environments.
These concerns will be resolved if they can erase data themselves.

I think that this feature is valuable, so I would appreciate your continued cooperation.

Regards,

--
Takanori Asaba