RE: Support logical replication of DDLs

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, rajesh singarapu <rajesh(dot)rs0541(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date: 2022-06-02 12:14:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Monday, May 30, 2022 2:52 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:03 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 3:49 AM Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Masahiko,

> > > I don't think we will allow this kind of situation to happen in the
> > > first place for
> > > backward compatibility. If a DDL no longer works on a new version of
> > > PostgreSQL, the user will have to change the application code as well.
> > > So even if it happens for
> > > whatever reason, we could either
> > > 1. fail the apply worker and let the user fix such DDL because they'll
> > > have to fix the application code anyway when this happens.
> > > 2. add guard rail logic in the apply worker to automatically fix such
> > > DDL if possible, knowing the version of the source and target. Similar
> > > logic must have been implemented for pg_dump/restore/upgrade.

> > > First of all, this case can only happen when the customer chooses to
> > > only replicate a subset of the tables in a database in which case
> > > table level DDL replication is chosen instead of database level DDL
> > > replication (where all tables
> > > and DDLs are replicated). I think the solution would be:
> > > 1. make best effort to detect such DDLs on the publisher and avoid
> > > logging of such DDLs in table level DDL replication.
> > > 2. apply worker will fail to replay such command due to missing
> > > objects if such DDLs didn't get filtered on the publisher for some
> > > reason. This should be rare and I think it's OK even if it happens,
> > > we'll find out
> > > why and fix it.
> > >

> > FWIW, both these cases could be handled with the deparsing approach,
> > and the handling related to the drop of multiple tables where only a
> > few are published is already done in the last POC patch shared by Ajin
> > [1].
> >

> Right. So I'm inclined to think that deparsing approach is better from
> this point as well as the point mentioned by Álvaro before[1].

I agree. One more point about deparsing approach is that it can also
help to replicate CREATE TABLE AS/SELECT INTO in a better way.

The main idea of replicating the CREATE TABLE AS is that we deprase the CREATE
TABLE AS into a simple CREATE TABLE(without subquery) command and WAL log it
after creating the table and before writing data into the table and replicate
the incoming writes later as normal INSERTs. In this apporach, we don't execute
the subquery on subscriber so that don't need to make sure all the objects
referenced in the subquery also exists in subscriber. And This approach works
for all kind of commands(e.g. CRAETE TABLE AS [SELECT][EXECUTE][VALUES])

One problem of this approach is that we cannot use the current trigger to
deparse or WAL log the CREATE TABLE. Because none of the even trigger is fired
after creating the table and before inserting the data. To solve this, one idea
is that we could directly add some code at the end of create_ctas_internal() to
deparse and WAL log it. Moreover, we could even introduce a new type of event
trigger(table_create) which would be fired at the expected timing so that we
can use the trigger function to deparse and WAL log. I am not sure which way is
better. I temporarily use the second idea which introduce a new type event
trigger in the 0003 POC patch.

In the POC patch, we deparse the command in the table_create event trigger and
WAL log the deparsed json string. The walsender will send the string to
subscriber. And incoming INSERTs will also be replicated.

Best regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Functions-to-deparse-DDL-commands.patch application/octet-stream 85.8 KB
v6-0002-Support-DDL-replication.patch application/octet-stream 127.5 KB
v6-0003-support-CREATE-TABLE-AS-SELECT-INTO.patch application/octet-stream 14.9 KB