Re: Pg Dump error

From: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane <tgl" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg Dump error
Date: 2003-11-21 22:15:59
Lists: pgsql-general

thanks. It turn out to be a problem with one of the tables. It had a date
value of 543525-01-01. Somehow the COPY command allowed this to come in as
a date, but pg_Dump using a tar dump spat out a bogus error message. It
wasn't until I did a normal pg_dump did I actually see that it was an error
with a specific table.

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-422-1610 office
HatcherPT - AIM

Tom Lane
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
11/21/2003 09:16 AM "Patrick Hatcher"
<PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
cc
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject
Re: [GENERAL] Pg Dump error

"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com> writes:
> Trying to dump data from my database using:
> pg_dump -a -Ft -b mdc_oz > mdc.tar

> And I keep receiving the following error:
> pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not write to tar member (wrote 3, attempted
> 203)

IIRC, the -Ft mode requires dumping into temp files in /tmp --- have you
got enough free space in /tmp for your largest table?