process large tables

From: Kristina Magwood <kristina(at)nanometrics(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: process large tables
Date: 2005-04-14 20:37:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
I am trying to process a large table. Unfortunately, using select * from
table gives me a ResultSet that is too large.
The java runs out of memory even if I boost the vm memory.
Is there any way I can programmatically (in java) retrieve say 10,000
records at a time without knowing anything specific about the table? Then,
when I am done with those records, retrieve the next 10,000, etc?

Thank you in advance for any help you can spare.
Kristina