Re: ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)

From: anthony(dot)caduto(at)micorp(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)
Date: 2004-10-07 20:16:08
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Dave,

You can do all that stuff with Inno as well and with much more
productivity, also Inno is used by many large open source projects as
their installer of choice on windows.
Inno also supports C style includes so you can have chunks of your
installer script reused.
One example is the Firebird Database project (I know it's the competition
but it's one of the higher profiles ones I know of)
I tried the decompiler and you end up with a huge barely readable XML
file(hundreds of lines), it's not intuitive at all.
MSI is fine when you use it with Wise and they give you a nice
interface/IDE.

What do other people on this list think? Should we be supporting MS by
using their installer technology?

From what I have seen MSI is NOT superior to Inno, just because it's MS
own propriatary (supported) solution does not mean it's the best.

So I guess if you are totally against it I withdraw my offer :-(

Tony Caduto
Senior Programmer/Analyst
M&I Trust and Investment Management

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
10/07/2004 03:02 PM

<anthony(dot)caduto(at)micorp(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
cc

Subject
RE: [ODBC] ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)