Re: Re: numeric type and odbc from access 2000

From: martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com
To: Shahab Asgharzadeh <shahab(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: numeric type and odbc from access 2000
Date: 2001-02-13 09:13:11
Lists: pgsql-general

I also use the ODBC driver and have noticed some things that could be
improved and some bugs

Since it's open source I was thinking of getting the source code and making
some changes myself

Has anyone done this? My knowledge of C is passable so maybe I could do
this?

The ODBC driver doesn't seem to be too well supported which is a shame
because its the only link

PG has with the Windows world if your using any MS app or developing in VB.

MC.

>The problem can be fixed in psql with explicit casting but the windows
odbc
driver for postgres does not make that determination correctly so update
and delete statements from access give errors when there is a float or a
numeric/decimal type in any table. And unfortunately, there is no way to
adjust the sql statements sent from access to the ODBC to explicitly cast
datatypes (or at least I think that's true)

This seems to be a major issue if one is using access as a front-end client
beacuse any table with float/numeric type will not be updated or deleted.

Any idea (from anyone) when there will be an ODBC fix or a fix so the
numeric type don't have to be explicitly casted in postgresql.

cheers,

Shahab
Shahab Asgharzadeh, MD

Bioinformatics Director, Neurogenetics Lab
Assistant Professor of Neurology, Northwestern University
Pediatric Clinical Associate, University of Chicago
312-503-4737
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

--

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or