Concerned about previous version still in place

From: "Guy Smith" <guy(dot)smith(at)db(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Concerned about previous version still in place
Date: 2004-02-19 10:52:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Some time ago I upgraded to 7.3.4 from 7.2.2 and am now looking to upgrade again to 7.4.1.

At the time I upgraded to 7.3.4 I took a very cautious approach and ran make install after a configure --prefix /home/postgres/root (and created a new database similarly) so that I could easily run up 7.2.2 installed under /usr/bin (originally installed there by rpm) if I needed to fail back. I'm now looking to install 7.3.4 "officially" as a precursor to beta installing 7.4.1 and have rerun configure without the --prefix and performed a make install. This has installed to /usr/local/pgsql/bin et al as would be expected from reading INSTALL (which, of course, I've done after the event!). My concern is that I now have 7.2.2 executables installed at /usr/bin and libraries in /usr/lib and so on, which may be used by my site code inadvertently.

I believe I could configure --prefix /usr and make install again to overwrite these but I've also noticed that there are additional files in /usr/include/pgsql that don't exist in /usr/local/pgsql/include so am concerned I could create a mess. I would also like to move towards a consistent approach where my team don't need to consider --prefix for the final install, we go with the default.

I'm running SuSE Linux 8.2 - can I just use rpm to remove postgresql-7.2.2-90.i586.rpm without breaking anything?

Thanks,
Guy

Project Manager - SourceForge
Deutsche Bank [/]