Re: BUG #5567: will not install

From: Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5567: will not install
Date: 2010-07-22 17:51:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alex,
Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --

when you say - my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).

what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and files
on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something different in
AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX 7.1 OS base (is
that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that need to change to
accomidate this new OS?

thanks, Denise
Denise Kanyuh
kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com
TBSM L3 Manager
(919) 224-1997

Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
07/22/2010 11:24 AM

Denise Kanyuh/Raleigh/IBM(at)IBMUS
cc
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject
Re: [BUGS] BUG #5567: will not install

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:13, Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15

[ BTW the latest version of 8.0 is 8.0.25, also note 8.0 is getting
EOL'ed within the next month or so, see
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1214 ]

> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the
newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any
release
> of postgres?

Skimming
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/installation-platform-notes.html--

while it does not say anything specific about AIX 7.1, the biggest
problems seem to be with old gcc versions. I would think if 7.1 ships
with a decent version of gcc it will 'just work'. In any event you
may want to give that page a look.

> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip
> logs.zip include the initDB.out file which found a message:
> # pwd
> /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs/tbsm
> # more initDB.out
> Error: Unknown architecture for shared libraries

This looks like its coming from a 3rd party installer, my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).