Re: BUG #5567: will not install

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5567: will not install
Date: 2010-07-22 15:24:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:13, Denise Kanyuh <kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15

[ BTW the latest version of 8.0 is 8.0.25, also note 8.0 is getting
EOL'ed within the next month or so, see
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1214 ]

> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any release
> of postgres?

Skimming http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/installation-platform-notes.html--
while it does not say anything specific about AIX 7.1, the biggest
problems seem to be with old gcc versions. I would think if 7.1 ships
with a decent version of gcc it will 'just work'. In any event you
may want to give that page a look.

> The installation failed at step: PostGreSOL Installation.
> For additional information, please review the log files stored in the
> archive: /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs.zip
> logs.zip include the initDB.out file which found a message:
> # pwd
> /opt/IBM/tivoli/tip/logs/tbsm
> # more initDB.out
> Error: Unknown architecture for shared libraries

This looks like its coming from a 3rd party installer, my hunch is
they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).