RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .

From: "Andrew Snow" <als(at)fl(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Pgsql-General(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Date: 2000-04-26 00:25:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is this necessarily a good solution? If you use 64-bit OIDs, some joker
> will just hook up a several-terra-byte disk array to his machine, try to
> store the location of every molecule in the universe and break it.

If you have to have OIDs at all, its a lot better than a 32 bit number. I
think it would be easier to switch to 64 bit OIDs than ditch them
completely.
The "serial" type should definitely be 64 bit. To make matters worse I
believe its really only a 31 bit number as the plus/minus symbol is
discarded. But I think moving to 64 bit will take place soon enough, when
it needs to, and it should shut everyone up.

> "Christ died for sin, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring
> you to God."
> - 1 Peter 3:18

Is it just me, or are there a lot of Christian PostgreSQL users? ;-) (I'm
not knocking it, I'm one too..)

- Andrew