RE: benchmarks

From: "Edmar Wiggers" <edmar(at)brasmap(dot)com>
To: "Clayton C(dot)" <clayton(at)marketingchallenge(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: benchmarks
Date: 2000-10-29 04:00:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

As a former Oracle developer, I decided to start working with cheaper
DBMS's. After a quick look on the market, PostgreSQL was the only one really
worth looking into.

But people liked MySQL, and I had to look for benchmarks. I found only one
(attached).

Not satisfied, I got PostgreSQL and MySQL, compiled and installed both.
MySQL comes with bechmarking tools, so I decided to use them. Very
impressive results for MySQL, obviously.

For PgSQL, the problem was that the benchmarks were not optimized. Not even
bulk loading was used. So I optimized it, and ran the test with PgSQL "NO
FSYNC" option.

The results were that PgSQL was slower than MySQL only by a factor of 2 or 3
(say, 3 seconds for MySQL against 6 or 8 seconds for PgSQL). Pretty good in
my opinion.

Note that for READ-ONLY access, PgSQL is practically as fast as MySQL. And,
according to the attached document (not written by me), PgSQL gets faster
when the SELECT involves several joined tables.

Attachment Content-Type Size
database_benchmark.txt text/plain 29.8 KB