Re: PQexecParams and CURSOR

From: "Laurent Marzullo" <laurent(dot)marzullo(at)atosorigin(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQexecParams and CURSOR
Date: 2005-01-17 10:28:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Ok so here is the full TEST program I try to run:
(It's a cut/paste + modification of program from PostgreSQL doc)

Thanks for any further help.
Laurent Marzullo

// vim:set ts=4 sts=4 sw=4 expandtab:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include "libpq-fe.h"

static void
exit_nicely(PGconn *conn)
{
PQfinish(conn);
exit(1);
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
const char *conninfo;
PGconn *conn;
PGresult *res;
const char *paramValues[1];
int i,
j;
int i_fnum,
t_fnum,
b_fnum;

if (argc > 1)
conninfo = argv[1];
else
conninfo = "dbname = grgl";

/* Make a connection to the database */
conn = PQconnectdb(conninfo);

/* Check to see that the backend connection was successfully made */
if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr, "Connection to database '%s' failed.\n",
PQdb(conn));
fprintf(stderr, "%s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
exit_nicely(conn);
}

/* Here is our out-of-line parameter value */
paramValues[0] = "2";

PQexec( conn , "BEGIN" );
res = PQexecParams(conn,
"DECLARE my_cursor CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM
grgl.range_modifier WHERE weapon_id = $1",
1,
NULL,
paramValues,
NULL,
NULL,
0);
if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr, "DECLARE failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);
exit_nicely(conn);
}
//PQclear(res);

// res = PQexec( conn , "FETCH 1 FROM MY_CURSOR" );
/*
res = PQexecParams(conn,
"FETCH 1 FROM MY_CURSOR",
0,
NULL,
NULL,
NULL,
NULL,
0);
*/
res = PQexecParams(conn,
"FETCH 1 FROM MY_CURSOR",
1,
NULL,
paramValues,
NULL,
NULL,
0);
if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr, "FETCH failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);
exit_nicely(conn);
}

/* Use PQfnumber to avoid assumptions about field order in result */
i_fnum = PQfnumber(res, "weapon_id");
t_fnum = PQfnumber(res, "lower_bound");
b_fnum = PQfnumber(res, "upper_bound");

for (i = 0; i < PQntuples(res); i++)
{
char *iptr;
char *tptr;
char *bptr;
int blen;
uint64_t ival;

/* Get the field values (we ignore possibility they are
null!) */
iptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, i_fnum);
tptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, t_fnum);
bptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, b_fnum);

ival = strtoll(iptr , 0 , 10 );
blen = PQgetlength(res, i, b_fnum);

printf("tuple %d: got\n", i);
printf(" i = (%d bytes) %d\n",
PQgetlength(res, i, i_fnum), ival);
printf(" t = (%d bytes) '%s'\n",
PQgetlength(res, i, t_fnum), tptr);
printf(" b = (%d bytes) '%s'\n",
PQgetlength(res, i, b_fnum), bptr);
printf("\n\n");
}

PQclear(res);

/* close the connection to the database and cleanup */
PQfinish(conn);

return 0;
}