Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "J(dot) Greenlees" <jaqui(at)telus(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2
Date: 2005-01-17 10:05:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> >>Log in the temp install dir:
> >>The Cacls command can be run only on disk drives that use the NTFS
> >>file system
> >>
> >>I'll have to rip half or more of the full log as it seems to be to
> >>large for the list to accept
> >

> > I assume you are talking about the initdb.log file? That
> file is created
> > by initdb.bat, which should only be called when you choose to run
> > initdb. Exactly which options did you specify during the
> installation?
> >
> > //Magnus
> >
> with msi installer, options are only for where to install,
> until initdb
> stage.

(I assume you entered a service username and password as well, because
there is no way to get past that dialog without it)

> chose no at that point, and it installs, then errors and
> completely un-installs.
> leaving a dir struct under program files with a single file:
> pgperm.log
> under the directory with the msi files in it there is a full install
> log, which the list has twice refused to accept as being to large.

Ok. There is indeed a bug here. Seems this codepath is not exercised a
lot - most people follow the advice not to store their data on FAT ;-)
And the other tests just exercised the case when you didn't do a service
install at all.

The pgperm.bat file incorrectly tries to do cacls on the DATA directory
even if it's installed on FAT. It correctly skips the bin, lib, share
etc paths, but not DATA.

Dave has committed a fix for this and it will be in the release.

//Magnus