Re: time stamp

From: "Mark McEahern" <marklists(at)mceahern(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: time stamp
Date: 2002-06-20 21:37:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

To be fair, you really ought to ask this question:

Suppose user A sets up a conference call with users B, C, and D, who each
live in:

A: Tokyo
B: Denver
C: San Diego
D: New York

The meeting is to occur at 1:00 PM tokyo time. (Never mind for now whether
that makes any sense.)

Trick questions:

1. How does the database store the time of the meeting?
2. What if user D is traveling to London at the time of the meeting? She
changes her locale on her computer to London time, will the database show
her the correct time?

However you solve this problem, it's not going to be by naively storing user
A's local time with no time zone information and leaving it at that.

;-)

// m