Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber

From: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sadhuprasad Patro <b(dot)sadhu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber
Date: 2021-10-18 08:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 12:17, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 11:59, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>>> dblink.c has something similar as of applyRemoteGucs(), except that it
>>> does not do extra_float_digits. It would be nice to avoid more
>>> duplication for those things, at least on HEAD. On the top of my
>>> head, don't we have something similar for parallel workers when
>>> passing down GUCs from the leader?
>
>> Since it will be used in more than one places. IMO, we can implement it in core.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> It's not going to be the same code everywhere. A logrep sender won't
> have a need to save-and-restore the settings like postgres_fdw does,

Thanks for your explanation. Yeah, we do not need reset the settings in
logical replication.

> AFAICS. Also, now that I look at it, dblink is doing the opposite
> thing of absorbing the sender's values.

Sorry I misunderstand. You are right, the dblink applies the remote
server's settings to local server.

Attached v3 patch modify the settings on sender as you suggest.

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-fix-logical-replication-failing-when-in-different-datestyle.patch text/x-patch 2.9 KB