Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sadhuprasad Patro <b(dot)sadhu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber
Date: 2021-10-18 04:17:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 11:59, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> dblink.c has something similar as of applyRemoteGucs(), except that it
>> does not do extra_float_digits. It would be nice to avoid more
>> duplication for those things, at least on HEAD. On the top of my
>> head, don't we have something similar for parallel workers when
>> passing down GUCs from the leader?

> Since it will be used in more than one places. IMO, we can implement it in core.
> Any thoughts?

It's not going to be the same code everywhere. A logrep sender won't
have a need to save-and-restore the settings like postgres_fdw does,
AFAICS. Also, now that I look at it, dblink is doing the opposite
thing of absorbing the sender's values.

It would be good I guess to have some central notion of which
variables ought to be set to what, but I'm not sure how to
mechanize that given the need for different behaviors.