Postgres config file: autocommit = off

From: "Rasmus Resen Amossen" <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Date: 2003-05-31 11:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not sure that this is the right list to ask - but after having googled a
while it seems that the only ones that might be able to answer this question
is the developers. Therefor, here we go:

As far as I have understood, postgres is autocommiting each typed statement
UNLESS the user remembers to write "BEGIN" which then disables the
autocommit behavior for this single transaction. -Unfortunately it's easy to
forget the BEGIN and it might be quite troublesome if one has to do it a
lot.

Therefor: Are there any plans to give the administrator an OPTION to turn
the behavior off through a parameter "autocommit = <boolean>" in the config
file? Eventually the default behavior could be the autoccomit = on, as it is
now.

Eventually an option per database could override the config file setting, so
that the default value was to disable the autocommit behavior but a subset
of the databases had autocommit enabled.