Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]
Date: 2003-05-31 15:25:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> I don't understand why you call this a hack. Pattern matching and string
> comparison simply work differently, so the proper solution is to use
> different operator classes. After all, that's what operator classes exist
> for. What is left to be desired?

I think that a more general solution would be the ability to select a
locale (and hence a sort order) per-column, as the SQL spec envisions.
Then you'd just select C locale for columns you wanted to do pattern
matching for.

Admittedly, you'd still need the opclass-based approach for cases where
you wanted both pattern matching and a non-C-locale sort order ... but
I doubt that constitutes the majority of cases.

I guess my main concern is that we should not feel that this approach
takes the heat off us to support multiple locales. As a solution to the
narrow problem of LIKE performance, it's okay --- but it's not getting
us any nearer to a solution to the general locale problem.