Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date: 2002-03-26 04:33:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > I have throught of at least two problems with changing nullability. The
> > first is primary keys. I have to prevent people setting a
> column involved
> > in a PK to null, right?
>
> Probably so.

What about temporary tables - is there any reason they shouldn't be able to
modify a temporary table?

What about indices? Will twiddling the nullability break indices on a table
in any way?

And foreign keys - foreign keys only have to reference UNIQUE, right? The
nullability isn't an issue?

Lastly - in a multicolumn primary key, does EVERY column in the key need to
be NOT NULL?

Chris