Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date: 2002-03-23 17:17:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have throught of at least two problems with changing nullability. The
> first is primary keys. I have to prevent people setting a column involved
> in a PK to null, right?

Probably so.

> The second is DOMAINs - what if they change a NOT NULL domain in a colun
> to NULL? Shoudl I just outright prevent people from altering domain-based
> columns nullability>

I don't think you need worry about this. The prototype DOMAIN
implementation is broken anyway --- it should not be transposing
domain constraints into column constraints, but should keep 'em
separate. The column-level attnotnull setting should be independent
of whether the domain enforces not-nullness or not.