Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c )

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "John Gray" <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c )
Date: 2002-02-28 01:18:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > What is a repo-copy?
> > A repo-copy (which is a short form of ``repository copy'') refers to
> > the direct copying of files within the CVS repository.
>
> Yeah, I think that's what we discussed the last time the question came
> up.
>
> It seems awfully wrongheaded to me. IMHO, the entire point of a CVS
> repository is to store past states of your software, not only the
> current state. Destroying the accurate representation of your historical
> releases is a poor tradeoff for making it a little easier to find the
> log entries for code that's been moved around. What's the point
> of having history, if it's not accurate?

Sounds like it's time to move to using 'arch':

http://www.regexps.com/#arch

Supports everything that CVS doesn't, including rename events...

BTW - I'm not _seriously_ suggesting this change - but it would be cool,
wouldn't it?

People could start their own local branches which are part of the global
namespace, easily merge them in, etc...

Chris