Re: Refactoring of command.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "John Gray" <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Refactoring of command.c
Date: 2002-02-27 19:06:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> Dug the below out of googles cache -- it's what the BSDs do for moving
> files in cvs.

> What is a repo-copy?
> A repo-copy (which is a short form of ``repository copy'') refers to
> the direct copying of files within the CVS repository.

Yeah, I think that's what we discussed the last time the question came
up.

It seems awfully wrongheaded to me. IMHO, the entire point of a CVS
repository is to store past states of your software, not only the
current state. Destroying the accurate representation of your historical
releases is a poor tradeoff for making it a little easier to find the
log entries for code that's been moved around. What's the point
of having history, if it's not accurate?