Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

From: Stefan Schwarzer <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date: 2008-01-24 13:41:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

>> As for the real problem (on the same hardware), when you rebuilt
>> Postgres on your new machine did you change any of the configure
>> options that MacPorts would have used from what would have been used
>> previously (I assume they can be overridden)?
>
> There's not that much that can be overridden that would affect the
> layout of pg_control. The only other thing I can think of at the
> moment is that moving from 32-bit to 64-bit time_t can screw things
> up --- but that shouldn't affect the interpretation of the pg_control
> version number, which as already noted certainly looks like it's the
> wrong endianness.
>
> Stefan, could you post the actual pg_control file as a binary
> attachment?

The "old" pg_control file is attached...

So, I am one step further, that is, I installed Tiger - and then
Postgres 8.1 - on a PPC MacMini.

After running initdb the postmaster started smoothly. I stopped it,
copied my database files into the same location, started the
postmaster again, and then got this error message:

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql schwarzer$ /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl
-D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start
pg_ctl: could not open PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/
postmaster.pid": Permission denied

As one can see from the following listing, there is no
"postmaster.pid". And the settings seemed to be (for me) the same as
in the old database tree:

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql schwarzer$ ls -l
total 0
drwx------ 16 postgres admin 544 Jan 23 18:23 data
drwx------ 15 postgres admin 510 Jan 23 17:50 data.orig

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$ ls -l
total 64
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 4 Jan 23 18:23 PG_VERSION
drwx------ 11 postgres admin 374 Jan 23 18:23 base
drwx------ 27 postgres admin 918 Jan 23 18:23 global
drwx------ 23 postgres admin 782 Jan 23 18:23 pg_clog
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 3396 Jan 23 18:23 pg_hba.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 1460 Jan 23 18:23 pg_ident.conf
drwx------ 4 postgres admin 136 Jan 23 18:23 pg_multixact
drwx------ 3 postgres admin 102 Jan 23 18:23 pg_subtrans
drwx------ 2 postgres admin 68 Jan 23 18:23 pg_tblspc
drwx------ 2 postgres admin 68 Jan 23 18:23 pg_twophase
drwx------ 11 postgres admin 374 Jan 23 18:23 pg_xlog
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 13614 Jan 23 18:23 postgresql.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 74 Jan 23 18:23 postmaster.opts

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql/data.orig postgres$ ls -l
total 64
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 4 Jan 23 17:49 PG_VERSION
drwx------ 5 postgres admin 170 Jan 23 17:49 base
drwx------ 28 postgres admin 952 Jan 23 17:50 global
drwx------ 3 postgres admin 102 Jan 23 17:49 pg_clog
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 3396 Jan 23 17:49 pg_hba.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 1460 Jan 23 17:49 pg_ident.conf
drwx------ 4 postgres admin 136 Jan 23 17:49 pg_multixact
drwx------ 3 postgres admin 102 Jan 23 17:49 pg_subtrans
drwx------ 2 postgres admin 68 Jan 23 17:49 pg_tblspc
drwx------ 2 postgres admin 68 Jan 23 17:49 pg_twophase
drwx------ 4 postgres admin 136 Jan 23 17:49 pg_xlog
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 13680 Jan 23 17:49 postgresql.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres admin 49 Jan 23 17:50 postmaster.opts

Thanks for any hints...

Stef

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_control application/octet-stream 8.0 KB