Versioned Tables

From: Mete Ercan Pakdil <mete(at)pakdil(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Versioned Tables
Date: 2013-01-22 10:43:08
Lists: pgsql-in-general

Hi,

This is my first message in this group.

I'm doing a research to find an alternative solution to Oracle Workspace Manager. I would prefer to use PostgreSQL instead of Oracle since I'm not familiar with Oracle system so much.

Basically, as in the Git versioning system, I need to create a branch table from parent table to populate new data. After the data quality control, these new data may be whether merged with parent table or not.

However there are some challenges;

1) Constraints should preserve
2) I have to store temporal data, spi module in contrib seems suitable for this case but parent rows temporal field should preserved until merge operation.

I'm looking forward to hear your ideas,

Please do not hesitate to ask any question if you want to learn more on this issue,

Thank you in advance,