Re: WIP: CoC V6

From: "Steve Petrie, P(dot)Eng(dot)" <apetrie(at)aspetrie(dot)net>
To: "Neil" <neil(at)fairwindsoft(dot)com>, "Psql_General \(E-mail\)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: CoC V6
Date: 2016-01-15 06:31:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Please see my two suggestions below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Neil" <neil(at)fairwindsoft(dot)com>; "Psql_General (E-mail)"
<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] WIP: CoC V6

> Hello,
>
> I posted this earlier but ended up breaking my own silly rev scheme.
> So, I am going back to my silly rev scheme. Rev 6 it is:
>
> tl;dr;
>
> * added being tolerant of opposing views
> * Removed excess wording from Grittner's version
> * Removed non-.org controlled spaces in first paragraph
>
> == PostgreSQL Community Code of Conduct (CoC) ==
>
> This document is intended to provide community guidelines for
> creating and enforcing a safe, respectful, productive, and
> collaborative place for any person who is willing to contribute in
> a safe, respectful, productive and collaborative way. It applies
> to all "collaborative space", which is defined as community
> communications channels (such as mailing lists, IRC, submitted
> patches, commit comments, etc.).

It seems to me that the above paragraph is too long, especially
considering that the following points are crisp short single sentences.

Also, why repeat the phrase "safe, respectful, productive, and
collaborative"?

My suggestion -- make two paragraphs:

This document provides community guidelines for
creating and enforcing a safe, respectful, productive, and
collaborative place. Every contributor is expected to support these
goals.

The guidelines apply to all "collaborative space", which is defined as
community
communications channels (such as mailing lists, IRC, submitted
patches, commit comments, etc.).

> * We are tolerant of people’s right to have opposing views.

I recall someone earlier mentioning the benefit of keeping discussions
on topic.

And it seems to me that that only views actually expressed are of
concern.

So I would offer the following revision:

* We are tolerant of people’s right to express opposing views relevant
to the success of the project.