Re: [NOVICE] Question About Aggregate Functions

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: "Don Parris" <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Question About Aggregate Functions
Date: 2006-09-13 18:23:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

I think I mistakenly sent this to General instead of Novice. Oops.

Yeah, I either skipped over or forgot the bit in the OP about bools.
Mea culpa.

You should be able to use OR instead of AND in any logical expression.

Well this sounds more like what I want. Given t2.fielda, t2.fieldb,
t2.fieldc, any one (or all three) could be true, but frequently at least
one of the fields is false. Initially, all of the fields might be
unknown (thus NULL) for a given item until I am able to investigate the
items to determine TRUE/FALSE. I frequently have items that are
inactive, and thus unable to determine any of attributes in t2.

My end result needs to be a count of all the values in each field where
the value is TRUE, as opposed to FALSE or NULL.

Yeah, I would probably run 4 separate, simple queries. That will get
you the best performance since you're doing no JOINs and no composite
queries.

If you need to enter the results into another table, try INSERT ... to
insert the defaults and any primary key you have (like timestamp), then
four UPDATE ... SELECT statements.

The real problem with NULLs is some of the (in my mind) nonsensical
results you get, especially with logical operators:

NULL AND TRUE => NULL

NULL OR TRUE => TRUE

NULL AND FALSE => FALSE

NULL OR FALSE => NULL

Plus you have to use IS instead of = since any NULL in an = expression
makes the result NULL (yes, this is an error in my previous queries).
NULL just has all these special cases. I find it much nicer to avoid it
wherever possible since it has somewhat unpredictable results.