Re: German translation of PostgreSQL documentation

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation of PostgreSQL documentation
Date: 2003-09-25 13:55:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> Even those who are for various obvious reasons not interested in a
> German
> language book might like to know that a lot of the editorial work that
> has
> been done in the context of this project has been fed back into the
> English original and will become public as part of the upcoming
> PostgreSQL
> 7.4 release.

Excellent job!

BTW I have a couple of questions about .po files:

1) I noticed that for long messages the structure is geneally the
following:

msgid ""
"some long message here"

i.e. there's an empty string after msgid and the message starts on the
next line. What's the reason for this? Is it just so that the message
can be tested against the full 80-character width without the 6
characters taken by msigid and a blank space? Does that create an extra
blank line upon output to the terminal?

My main concern is that sometimes I have a message that is much longer
in French than in English (no surprise), so I do something like this:

msgid "some message"
msgstr ""
"pretty long translation"

Is it bad to have this empty string in the translated version and not
the original?

2) how do you update .po files? I mean how do you proceed when the
original .pot file changed (say psql.pot) and you want to update your
localized version (say psql-fr.po) to find the differences? Is there a
utility to do this automatically?

Cheers.

Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco