JDBC Select Performance

From: "Thomas Hii" <duke_firehawk(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC Select Performance
Date: 2001-04-17 04:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While doing some testing with Postgresql 7.1, I noticed some perculiar
behaviour with the JDBC driver. Selecting a single record from a table is
5-10 times slower than doing an insert (even if the table only contains a
single record, and the select query does not contain any join). On Oracle
database, an insert is always slower than a select when running the same
test.

At the moment, I've narrowed down the time consuming section of the code to
ExecSQL() method in the org.postgresql.Connection class. There seems to be a
"while" loop over a "switch" statement which I yet need to figure out what
it is doing. Anybody has any idea why this section of code is so slow?

Note: I'm using Mandrake 7.2, IBM JDK 1.3 on 1Ghz Athlon with 256 RAM.
The Postgresql 7.1 is compiled with multibyte character turned on.
The Select statement itself takes 1-5 seconds which is almost 100 times
slower than Oracle on the same PC. This is even without opening connection
factored in.

Thomas Hii