Re: Re: No printable 7.1 docs?

From: Christopher Masto <chris+pg-hackers(at)netmonger(dot)net>
To: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: No printable 7.1 docs?
Date: 2001-04-17 04:19:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:07:26AM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > They're not ready yet.
>
> Since they were deemed non-essential for this release, and since the
> release schedule is not built around their creation, I no longer feel
> obligated to have them finished on the release date. A nice change from
> the deadlines I've been working on for the last three years or so :)
>
> This is the first release with the "no hardcopy" policy, and user
> feedback is certainly desirable and appreciated.

My feedback at this time is mostly the desire to know a bit better
what prevents the hardcopy docs from being built automatically. I am
currently having some trouble compiling jadetex, so I can't take a
look at the generated PDF yet, but I assume there's something wrong
with it. That seems like a big deficiency in the doc tools, which
suprises me, given that they're rather large projects that have been
used by other large projects for quite a while.

My interest is partly to be able to compile the docs on my own, and
partly research - I'm involved in the development of an application
that has some hefty documentation requirements, and I was hoping that
SGML + free software would come to the rescue. If it's just a matter
of time and effort, this may be an big enough area of overlap with
work that I can spend Official Time and/or Official Money on it.
--
Christopher Masto Senior Network Monkey NetMonger Communications
chris(at)netmonger(dot)net info(at)netmonger(dot)net http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/