Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-06 20:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 6 juin 09 à 20:45, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> So, here's what we need for 8.3 --> 8.4 for contrib modules:

That does nothing for external modules whose code isn't in PostgreSQL
control. I'm thinking of those examples I cited up-thread --- and some
more. (ip4r, temporal, prefix, hstore-new, oracfe, etc).

Could pg_migrator detect usage of "objects" oids (data types in
relation, index opclass, ...) that are unknown to be in the standard -
core + contrib distribution, and quit trying to upgrade the cluster in
this case, telling the user his database is not supported?

> Note that we expect NOT to have this issue for 8.4-->8.5, since
> we'll have a full module infrastructure by then. Really!

Note: added in-place upgrade to requirements of the first version of
the feature.
--
dim