Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-07 02:26:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Le 6 juin 09 ? 20:45, Josh Berkus a ?crit :
> > So, here's what we need for 8.3 --> 8.4 for contrib modules:
>
> That does nothing for external modules whose code isn't in PostgreSQL
> control. I'm thinking of those examples I cited up-thread --- and some
> more. (ip4r, temporal, prefix, hstore-new, oracfe, etc).

Agreed, that's why the new INSTALL text addresses this clearly. You
might want to read my blog entry about why the INSTALL file is so
important for pg_migrator:

http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog.html#June_6_2009

> Could pg_migrator detect usage of "objects" oids (data types in
> relation, index opclass, ...) that are unknown to be in the standard -
> core + contrib distribution, and quit trying to upgrade the cluster in
> this case, telling the user his database is not supported?

Well, they will get an error and see the INSTALL file --- I don't see
having pg_migrator go around looking for things as a fruitful effort.

> > Note that we expect NOT to have this issue for 8.4-->8.5, since
> > we'll have a full module infrastructure by then. Really!
>
> Note: added in-place upgrade to requirements of the first version of
> the feature.

Yes, this will certainly spur development of a better /contrib install
system.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com