connecting a 64bit ODBC driver for Postgre 8.4 with Access 2010

From: "Della-Croce, Gregory" <Greg_Della-Croce(at)wycliffe(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: connecting a 64bit ODBC driver for Postgre 8.4 with Access 2010
Date: 2012-06-09 20:10:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

* Ok I feel like a bit of a rubber ball. Microsoft saw this question and said "Great question go ask customer support at PostgreSQL. All I want is a simple answer to what I thought was a simple answer.

- I have a remote PostgreSQL 8.4 database backing up my clients application.

- I have created (having to go in as ADMINISTRATOR) ODBCAD32 for 64bit both User and System drivers on my computer.

- I went to Access 2010 on my computer, opened a database, went to External Data ODBC Database. I expected to see my drivers listed there. They were not. Only the standard 32bit drivers where listed.

MY QUESTION: How do I get to the drivers to get to the database to get to the data to write the application reports that the client needs?

Please Note: I have done some programming in Access but I am rusty. I do not have access to VS.NET, so it will have to be VBA code. I am running a Win 7 64bit system with a special read-only Network connection to the database. I can see the database on with the pgADMIN III tool. That provided a place for the connection to be record directly and did not ask for the ODBC Drivers.

I am grateful to any and all I hear from with a working solution. Please unless the link is better than the How to that I saw please be more specific.

Greg Della-Croce
Applications Administrator